Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost
October 15, 2017
FAITH LUTHERAN CHURCH
247 Westmount Road East Telephone 519-745-6422
Pastor Warren Hamp Residence 519-571-0240
PRAYER: Lord of the eternal feast, grant Your Holy Spirit to us through Word and Supper today, that we may joyfully receive Your invitation again, and through repentance and faith in Your forgiveness, be ones rightly dressed for the Wedding Supper on the Last Day; for You live and reign with Your Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.
TEXT: Matthew 22:12-14
SERMON THEME: Clothed for the Feast
IN OUR PRAYERS:
- Our Prime Minister and Parliament, Premier and Legislature, for wisdom and good government; nations in conflict, for peace
- Sufferers from disaster and conflict, especially in Puerto Rico, in Nepal and India, in Nicaragua and for the refugees from Myanmar, that they not be forgotten
- Confidence in God’s mercy for those with cancer in their bodies, especially: Kathy (a friend of Tammi), Annette, finishing chemotherapy treatment for Lymphoma, Darlene (Annette’s mother), Pat, in palliative stage, Brenda (Dorothy’s daughter) receiving chemotherapy
- Protection from the evil one for Phylis (Ros’s mother) and all our shut-ins in long term care; Gina, recovering from surgery on Wednesday; Leanne, for ongoing care; Kurt, for full healing; Conor, for steady healing in body and peace of mind; Muriel (Barb’s mom) in palliative care; Jeremy, undergoing surgery on Wednesday
- Peter Lutheran Church in Oyen, Alberta, and without a pastor; our sister churches in Chile and Peru, for Christ’s care to His little flock
USHERING: L: Janine & Tammi
ACOLYTES: L: Brianna
COMMUNION ASSISTANT: E: Darryl
ATTENDANCE: E: 53 L: 75
SUNDAY SCHOOL: 7 YOUTH: 13
BIBLE STUDY: 16
CURRENT: Portals of Prayer $35
OTHER: Lutheran Hour $20, CLWR $100, Concordia Seminary $50, Rancheria Nutrition $90, Community Cupboard $50, Nicaragua South Mission $620, Hurricane Irma Relief $100
A donation in memory of Kathleen Ford from Brian & Judy to Nicaragua South Mission.
THE LUTHERAN HOUR weekly message of inspiration and hope will be broadcast of CKWR 98.5 at 7am Sunday mornings. You can also listen on-line or download pod casts at www.lll.ca. “Luther the Man: Called by God to Boast in Him “ Lutheran Hour Speaker: Rev. Dr. Gregory Seltz. Although Martin Luther is widely regarded as one of the most influential people of the last 500 years, he knew he was no big deal, compared to Christ.
WOMAN TO WOMAN
May be downloaded at womantowomanradio.com
ISSUES ETC. THE CONSERVATIVE REFORMATION…Did Martin Luther aspire to start a new church? Was he a 16th Century Che Guevara intending to overthrow institutional authority? Was the goal of the 16th Century Lutheran reformers reformation or revolution? Find out in an extended series with Dr. Larry Rast, president of Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, IN. Issues, Etc. is a radio talk show and podcast hosted by LCMS Pastor Todd Wilken and produced by Lutheran Public Radio in Collinsville, IL. You can listen live or at your convenience at www.issuesetc.org and on the Lutheran Public Radio mobile app.
THIS WEEK AT FAITH
|Mon – Tues:||Pastor @ Commission on Theology & Church Relations|
|Thursday:||12noon Area Ministerial @ Forest Hill United
6:30pm Catechesis (Parent: Beth)
|Friday:||9:30am-1:30pm Quilting Sisters
LWML District Retreat Cambridge
|Saturday:||8am Men’s Breakfast
LWML District Retreat Cambridge
8:15 Prayer & Preaching
9:30 SS & Bible Study
10:45 Divine Service
WELCOME to our Visitors – We are glad you can be with us today for Divine Service. If you have not been to Faith before, please feel free to leave your name and address in the Guest Register in the narthex. We would like to keep in touch with you. Welcome in the name of the Lord!
Sharing the Peace
This morning we continue the custom we had some years ago – of greeting one another with the ‘Peace of the Lord’ (or the ‘Peace of Christ’) before we sing our first hymn. You are welcome to shake hands or simply to speak this greeting one to another – whatever you are comfortable with.
Faith Ladies Guild would like to thank everyone who donated to the Thanksgiving Donations to Anna Kaljas home. And to The Witts for delivering the food. Thanks to everyone who helped we are truly blessed.
MEN – this Saturday at 8am, we get together again for Breakfast, and continue our study of the First Letter of St. John.
Just a reminder to the Ladies of Faith LWML, The Fall Rally is at First St Paul’s Wellesley on Monday Oct 16th refreshments at 6 pm & rally at 7 pm. We will car pool from the church at 5.30 pm.
As we approach the 500th Anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation on October 31st, here are some ways you can mark, give thanks, and celebrate this milestone:
- Join our Bible Study Sundays at 9:30am, as we look at the wonderful rediscovery of the Gospel that happened in the life and times of Martin Luther
- Register now and plan to attend the Reformation Walk put on by our circuit at Messiah Lutheran Church in Waterloo on Saturday, October 28th – living history from 10am to 2pm – especially for kids!
- Attend our Kitchener Circuit joint Reformation Celebration Divine Service on Sunday, October 29th at 7:30pm at Redeemer Lutheran Church on John St in Waterloo
Come and learn, sing, share, rejoice! God is still faithfully calling and gathering His Church!
Just a friendly reminder – please refrain from wearing perfumes or other strong scents when coming to worship, in care for your sisters and brothers who are scent-sensitive. Thank you!
PLEASE take a look at the Usher Calendar in the narthex, and pick ONE Sunday when you can usher. We’d like to fill in the services for the October calendar today. We are thankful for those who serve, but it will be great to know each service has ushers scheduled in advance…
We are looking for someone to serve as Bookkeeper for Faith Lutheran Church. This is a paid position requiring some skill in accounting software. For more details and information, please contact Tony at 519-747-8166.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Keep financial records and establish, maintain and balance various accounts.
- Experience with Quicken would be an asset
- Prepare and post monthly journal entries, prepare cheques weekly
- Prepare monthly income statement and balance sheet and related schedules
- Monthly bank reconciliation
- Prepare HST returns & EHT remittance for CRA & Min. of Finance
- Ad Hoc reports
- 3+ years’ experience in a Financial Analyst/Bookkeeping Role
- Post-Secondary Degree/Diploma in Accounting and/or Business
- Self-starter, able to work autonomously
- Intermediate skills MS Excel
REFORMATION WALK—Time is running out to Pre-Register!—Come join one of the guided tours as we travel back 500 years in time and learn about the life of Martin Luther. Adults and children alike will enjoy this living history event at Messiah Lutheran Church [700 Glen Forrest Blvd, Waterloo] on Saturday, October 28th from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. The Reformation Walk tour includes 10 educational stations that will take approximately 1 hour and 40 minutes to complete. Other highlights include medieval displays, Reformation book/souvenir sale (cash or cheque only), kids’ activities and FOOD (free will offering). In order to avoid long wait times, we ask that you sign up now to secure your place within a tour group. Email Roslyn at firstname.lastname@example.org to register via Google Doc (or call 519-745-4891). The last day to register is October 15!! Come dressed in medieval-style clothing and walk in the footsteps of Martin Luther!
With only two months before the Nicaragua South Mission team leaves, here are some ways you can help the team.
- Pray for 4 churches (Israel, Las Marias, Sebaco & Masaya mission) where an Adult Bible Study will be introduced. At this event we will have a paint party and a light meal included. Costs not covered are the meals at $75 for 32 adults in each of 4 communities.
- Pray for 2 churches (El Realejo and Chichigalpa) where the Christmas movie in Spanish, Red Boots for Christmas, will be shown. We plan to serve pizza and drinks. Costs not covered are the meals at $50 in each of the 2 churches and will feed 40 kids and 3 adult helpers.
- Pray for 2 churches (Jinotega and Rivas) where youth or parents will teach children up to 3 stories in 3 rotations and work through the connecting pages in an activity book. We plan to show the movie and will arrange pizza and drinks if possible. The activities books are valued at $4 each and we are taking 80. The meals at $75 in each of the 2 churches and will feed 40 kids and 8 helpers.
The team, due to its small size, has made significant cuts both in programs and costs. If you need more details please contact Jane at 519-884-2367 or at church. Your prayers and financial help are important
TODAY as we celebrate the Sacrament of Holy Communion we will receive the body and blood of our Saviour. We receive the forgiveness of our sins and the strengthening of our faith. Since the Lord’s Supper is an expression of our common confession of the Christian faith, we ask that only those persons who are members of a congregation of the Lutheran Church-Canada, or LCMS receive the Sacrament. Those who would like more information about this doctrine or any other teachings of the Lutheran church are asked to speak to our pastor.
A Communion Request – all children who are not confirmed and not yet communing – as well as adults who are visiting or are not yet catechized in the Lutheran confession – are welcome to the Lord’s Table for a baptismal blessing. We would simply ask that those who are not communing would cross their arms over their chest so that the elder assisting knows they are not receiving the host. Thanks to all – this will be a really big help.
Due to the federal Privacy Legislation, if you find yourself at Grand River Hospital (K-W Hospital) OR St. Mary’s Hospital please have someone call the church to leave a message that you are there. (Pastor checks the voice mail regularly) The computer system no longer displays any information unless you have given express permission for it to do so. So – the best way of communication is a message to the church. Thanks and God bless!
If you would be interested in having some of your offerings to Christ’s holy church electronically transferred by direct deposit, please speak with Sherrie (email her – email@example.com – or call the church on a Thursday) and she will help to arrange that for you. This is a great help in the summer especially, when many travel and are away on Sundays.
A kindly reminder from the Administrative Assistant: Your mailslot in the old narthex is the ONE UNDER YOUR NAME. If you notice a neighbour’s box getting full, you are welcome to take their mail and drop it off – with an invitation to see them at worship soon! Thanks!
An easy way to support our Seminary —-
If you are buying anything on Amazon.ca – take a little detour through the seminary website (www.brocku.ca/concordiaseminary) and use the Amazon link on their site. This way the seminary will receive a small percentage of your purchase price – and it will cost you nothing. Thanks